Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Confusion about my health status

I called my allergist on Monday to find out the results of the chest x-ray I got on Thursday. Imagine how it feels to wonder if you have walking pneumonia or something and your doctor takes so long to clue you in on it? One would assume that if it was bad that she'd have contacted me ASAP, so the results were probably good. But this is my health we're talking about, I'd like the verbal confirmation. I called the allergist early in the morning on Monday and mid afternoon she finally called me back to tell me that my x-rays didn't show anything wrong with them.

I proceeded to tell her that I felt something in my bronchial tubes (like how you'd feel running in cold weather and you get out of breath) and that I had a fever. In a very lackadaisical fashion she told me that maybe I have a cold and take medicine to 'see what happens'. Did this lady really complete medical school? It was like she wasn't really sure but she had done her part and that was it for her. Having bronchial problems is not something one wants to approach in a careless and unconcerned way. Because, as it turns out, I need them to breathe and I need to breathe so I can not die.

This whole breathing issue for the past 2.5 weeks has been very disconcerting. Getting so out of breath just walking 3 blocks, even while on a dry inhaler. Going to a new allergist and the first round of meds she gives me really doesn't have much of an impact. Then being put on prednisone and feeling really optimistic the first couple of days only to be put on a higher dose and prolonged use of it because on the 3rd day I had labored breathing. During that office visit she gave me this treatment where I took in medicine through a cool (temp) vaporizer mouthpiece. It was my first time with such a treatment. Then the next day I had spotting (never had that happen before). I think around Friday is when I started experiencing the bronchial issues. Noticed my jaw would get sore halfway through a slice of pizza. On Sunday Jazzmin and I were running to find out where the piano recital was moved to (recital never took place) and I so easily got completely winded and my leg muscles felt like they were carrying twice the weight they're used to. I liken it to what they call "feeling the burn" when you exercise - that' show my thighs felt with slight running.

I was out sick on Monday and Tuesday because Jazzmin was sick and I was having the bronchial issues. I started taking Robitussin on Monday afternoon - am still taking it. Not sure if it's helping, but I'm still taking it just in case. I made an appt. with my general practitioner tomorrow morning so I can go over with her all I've been through and what I am feeling now. This is the only doctor I truly trust and am confident she's going to let me know exactly what's going on, how to treat it and what to expect. Wish I could see her today but her schedule is completely booked.
.

No comments: