Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Asthma Saga Continues

Yesterday the allergist prescribed Prednisone for me and also different emergency inhaler. The Prednisone is supposed to be for severe allergies, asthma as well as other things. I am supposed to still use the daily inhaler she gave me last week - the Prednisone is just supposed to calm the asthma/allergies to a manageable level. I have to take it for 5 days, lowering the dose each day. Yesterday I took 5, today 4, tomorrow 3 and so on.

I noticed immediate results after yesterday's dose because my chest was tight from the asthma all day and then it went away. Hard to gauge today's dose until I walk up stairs or something.

I'm going for a follow-up visit tomorrow. Hopefully everything will be resolved by the end of the week. .

4 comments:

Tipa said...

Prednisone is a steroid. You won't be able to be on that for long. They used to give that to Nostromo when he was having a severe allergic reaction to his own blood.

Glad you're feeling better -- I do hope losing 2/3 of your feline companions helps you long-term.

Genjer Leigh said...

Well I am only on it for 5 days - the side effects for being on it a long time seem crazy.

They are so hard to swallow - they don't have any coating on them. So when they're in your mouth they have a bitter, bitter taste and tend to stick to your tongue when you're trying to swollow them! Yuck!

We'll see what the doctor has to say about everything at my appt tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I hope they find the right medication for you and figure this all out. Glad that you are feeling better now.

Genjer Leigh said...

Yeah - I hope we can figure this out. The prednisone is helping but just this morning when I went running for the bus I was weezing afterwards. And I had only run about a block. I still have 3 more doses of the prednisone so hopefully it clears that up.