Friday, February 8, 2008

Science Fair - the gift that keeps on giving

So we brought home Jazzmin's soap, etc. from school on Wed. night. We put the dish soap in a plastic bag, tied it tightly and then put it in her back pack. Thursday morning we're at the train platform when Jazzmin notices that the whole bottom of her back pack is covered, nay - DRENCHED in dish washing liquid. Good times.... I tell ya.

We threw out what we could. I told Jazzmin to just do her best to clean it out when she got to school. Now a few of her workbooks are covered in soap goo permanently at the bottom. Actually - now the pages have this waxy feel to them.

Last night I did my best to rinse it out, but all I got was a mountainous amount of bubbles. So after 10 min. of fighting with the bubbles - I brought it down to the basement and washed it in the machine. It didn't get all the soap out - hence the soap on the window of the washing machine after the load completed. But it got out a lot of it.

Jazzmin revealed to me last night that she had, infact, had incident where the soap was closed but still soap was coming out. Nice of her to mention it to me now ...after the fact.

2 comments:

Hillary said...

Ah, the joys of motherhood! I'm sure I'll have many equally gooey stories to share in the future...

So how did Jazzmin do in the Fair? I am guessing she didn't win (since you would have mentioned it), but who won if not she? From your description, it sounds as if there were very few projects that actually satisfied the assignment, and I think her project was very good for 4th grade.

Genjer Leigh said...

@Hillary - You're right, she didn't win. I think the problem was that you could tell what Jazzmin did wasn't time consuming. Next year we'll do something more involved. And now I know that when they say experiment they really mean just a project.

From my viewpoint - the other projects were a little half-assed because they didn't actually use scientific terminology, etc. to explain things. For a science fair - it wasn't very scientific. And the parents typed up the items as well as print pictures from the internet to put info on their board. Parents are allowed to do that but at the same time I think the kid should just write the info and draw pictures. I think the other way is just to passive an approach for the kids.

And nobody wrote the research paper - but perhaps that's just another example of the school's poor communication skills. Maybe they don't actually expect it even though it's part of what they show in the example drawing given of what they're supposed to include.

The person who won did a project that had something to do with mixing things to make a perfume. Now I wish I had taken the time to read the kids board when I had the chance.