Monday, February 18, 2008

Flaxseed Oil

I recently started taking Flaxseed Oil because it has Omega 3, 6 & 9 in it - seems as though it is beneficial to many functions of the body. One that I am most interested in is it's supposed to help with asthma, but that is not the sole reason I am taking it. I'm really taking it for the overall benefit to my body.

In doing a little research I found out that it's supposedly gives you the energy to endure a longer workout then you normally could and allows your muscles to recover from fatigue more quickly. I hadn't noticed any extra energy after taking the suppliment for nearly a week. But when I went to Taekwondo on Saturday I definitely noticed a difference. I wasn't even cognizant of the change until toward the end of class. At the very end he had us do this drill where we had to do the exercise he told us to as he called it out rapidly. I noticed that even after working out the entire class (and sweating heavily) that I was able to keep up and even do better then I normally would.

I guess some might chalk it up to a coincidence - but I don't think it is. But we'll see how it goes. I don't have class again until Friday, so I'll have to wait until then to see what happens. Another added benefit is Flaxseed Oil supposedly provides the lean fat required to build muscle - so maybe it'll help me in that respect. We shall see....

2 comments:

Hillary said...

That's really cool. The workouts sound very intense!

Isn't your asthma caused by a cat allergy? Maybe I am mis-remembering that.

Genjer Leigh said...

Yeah - the workouts ARE intense. At least when he's having us do the cardio. I've never sweat so much - when it has nothing to do with being hot outside.

My asthma is strange - most (99%) of the time my asthma issues show up with exercise. It's not like when I get near a cat (source of allergy) that I start having breathing issues. Yet, I didn't start having asthma symptoms until the cats.

Here is an explanation as to why Flaxseed Oil helps Asthma:

"How Flaxseed Oil Helps

Research in the past decade has revealed the importance of inflammation of the airways in asthma and successful clinical therapies aimed at reducing chronic inflammation. Asthma is associated with the body's production of proinflammatory fatty compounds called leukotrienes, secreted by the immune system's white blood cells (leukocytes) as a reaction to common environmental allergens and pollutants including house dust mites, animal dander, cockroach, fungal spores, pollens, and industrial airborne contaminants.

Ordinarily, white blood cells defend the body against infecting organisms and foreign agents, both in the tissues and in the bloodstream itself. But in persons with asthma, the white blood cells tend to produce excess amounts of inflammatory leukotrienes that are members of the 4- series.

One way to counter the body's excess production of leukotrienes is to enhance intake of omega-3 fatty acids. The omega-3 fatty acids cause the body to produce more of the less inflammatory 5-series leukotrienes. This shift is directly related to relief from asthma symptoms, notes an expert.

Flaxseed oil is a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid , one of the major omega-3 fatty acids. Seafood is also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, and it has been shown that children who eat fish more than once a week have only one-third the risk of asthma compared with children who do not eat fish regularly. 4 However, it is often difficult to convince children to consume those seafood dishes highest in omega-3 fatty acids (e. g. , salmon and mackerel) or to take fish oil capsules. Flaxseed oil, on the other hand, can be blended into tasty smoothies, yogurt and spread on bread.

Recent studies have shown that alpha-linolenic acid, the omega-3 fatty acid found in flaxseed, has a profound ability to inhibit the generation of leukotrienes by white blood cells in persons with asthma."

The Omega in Flaxseed seems to be really good for the entire body in general because it has the lean fats that the body needs to function.