Monday, February 11, 2008

Note from Jazzmin's Teacher

I had written a note to Jazzmin's teacher asking why she got Cs in her Reading and Language Arts (and thus being lower then 1st qtr.) classes when her tests (75% of the grade) were coming back with higher grades. She referenced that Jazzmin owes 2 assignments and doesn't always follow all the instructions given in assignments. She also talked about Jazzmin talking to much in class - that is hard to believe. Jazzmin has an extreme desire to please her teachers - it'd be completely out of character for to continue a behavior in excess when she knows it would get her in trouble (or even risk getting her in trouble).

Here is the note I wrote Jazzmin's teacher - plan to put it in her folder to give to the teacher tomorrow:

"Thank you for taking the time to respond to my note regarding Jazzmin's grades in Reading and Language Arts. I am a little surprised that, if Jazzmin's work was so problematic, I didn't get a note from you to that effect prior to my inquiry about her 2nd quarter grades on her report card. I view the parent/teacher relationship as a partnership working toward the same goal of educating my daughter. But I can't do my part if there is a communication breakdown.

I will have Jazzmin complete the 2 missing assignments and would appreciate any extra credit assignments you could give her in Reading and/or Language Arts. She has also promised me that she will take better care that her assignments are completed on time and correctly.

You referenced, in your note, that there was an assignment not completed on Thursday. If you were referring to the math homework that the soap from her science fair project got all over, that is not anything she could've helped. We didn't discover that soap had dowsed her backpack until we were already on our way to school Thursday morning. I told her to show you the soap soaked, completed, assignment. Apparently she did not, but the assignment was written over for the next day. But she said the assignment was not collected yet (as of Friday).

As far as her chatting in class, I am sure she is not completely innocent in this matter. But she has also told me that if somebody at her table tries to get her attention - they both get in trouble even though she was trying to ignore them. Or if you're in the hallway talking to another teacher and poke your head in to hear noise coming from her table (group of desks) - everybody gets in trouble regardless of whether everybody was talking.

Getting in trouble for talking when she wasn't has been a source of great frustration for her because she is earnest about wanting to please any given teacher. She hates to get in trouble and makes her best effort not to (and is typically successful in staying out of trouble). I know this from first hand experience as well as remarks from her former teachers and Ms. Blake in afterschool.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to respond to my letter. Hope you're doing well and are surviving the cold weather ok. :)"

I spoke to Jazzmin about the whole situation and she promises to do better. She was upset that she was getting in trouble with me. And when I told her I'd have to tell her dad and other family members that she isn't doing well if she doesn't start making a better effort. I know I may sound evil, but I knew this idle threat would make her cry. She hates the idea of letting you guys down re: her grades. Doing better in class is only a matter of her putting the same effort in her less enjoyed classes as she does in the ones she likes. And I knew by threatening to tell you guys that it'd be a real wake up call to her and be a major motivation for her to make the proper effort.

I would ask, now that you know the power your opinion of Jazzmin holds with her, that you not mention that you know that sometimes she doesn't do well (or up to par with what she's capable of) in school. It would only upset her and hurt her feelings. Better for things to stay as is and for you to continue being a source of enouragement.

3 comments:

Hillary said...

Just doing a quick read, I think your note would probably put the teacher on the defensive, since you accuse her of not doing her job well in a number of different spots. Is that what you are going for?

Genjer Leigh said...

I was trying to find a nice way of telling her that she should have written me a note about Jazzmin if things were problematic. If I hadn't written to her then I'd have never known. And she does appear to have some sweeping way of chastising kids for talking. She doesn't distinguish btw. who was actually talking and who wasn't. It's basically, if you're in the general vicinity - you are in trouble.

Maybe I will take out the part about talking in class so it doesn't seem so overwhelming to her.

Hillary said...

That's a good idea -- it would probably would read a little more balanced that way, throwing the teacher a bone.

Section 1: you should communicate with me, her parent, better!

Section 2: I will get after Jazzmin about talking, sorry about that.

50/50 split! :)