Friday, February 29, 2008

Jazz Gets Tutor Starting Monday

Jazzmin is going to start getting tutored in reading on Monday. One issue is she'll read a story and can answer any question you have about the story - yet doesn't really know what are relevant facts to include in summary/book report other then the bare minimum outline of the story. So that is a skill she needs to build, though I'm told this issue is normal for a 4th grader. Also, I wonder if not having this skill effects her reading and wonder if maybe that in turn causes her to find reading boring? I don't know.

Hopefully the tutoring helps, but it certainly couldn't hurt! The teacher who is tutoring her got a masters in reading - I'm assuming she means teaching reading. I look forward to seeing how this effects her regular class work.

And a big THANK YOU to Dawn as she has offered to pay for the tutoring!!! Thankfully the tutoring rate is pretty reasonable.

.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

cough cough "affects" her reading cough cough.

ANYWAY that's great news! I am glad it is a teacher who can direct Jazzmin. Sometimes tutors just say, "what is causing you confusion?" and the student has to be self-directed (but maybe I am just used to high school students). This teacher will probably make Jazzmin step through exercises of some sort, which is great! I'm really rooting for Jazzmin -- I hope she puts her heart into it.