Thursday, February 21, 2008

New Way to Eat California Roll

I've been trying to acquire a taste for California Rolls (since I don't care for fish) because I know they're healthy and a lot of my co-workers like them. I have been earnest in my attempts to eat it properly with soy sauce and wasabe - blech. Soy sauce is OK but it's way too salty - wasabe just taste nasty period. Then I was told that I didn't get a fresh batch of wasabe and was told to try it at this better place. Still a major 'blech' factor. But I've finally found a way to tolerate California Rolls - HOT SAUCE!

I'm hoping, at some point, I'll start to like California Rolls to the point that it's actually something I enjoy eating instead of making myself eat. I had one that wasn't too bad - but it wasn't a California Roll - it was avecado and cuccumber rolled up in brown rice. Now if only they could've put more avecado that would've been perfect.

One thing I really like from the Japanese counter at work are these veggie Japanese style chinese dumplings. They're served cold and the "noodle" is very thing. I don't know exactly what they have in it - I know there are soy beans in there. But it's really good. The only problem is - it doesn't fill me up at all. I'd need 3 servings (15) before I'd be full - but they're not cheap so I stick with the one serving.

They have these 2 Japanses mini-markets on the street behind where I work. They have a lot of good things in there - but most of the time I am to lazy to leave the building, at least during the winter. It's interesting to see the kinds of foods they have in there. I tried this chicken cutlet sandwich with a fried egg on it and some special sauce - it was so yummy! They also have a bakery in there - soy paste and pancakes anyone?? But they do have these yummy cream puffs they make there - but at $1.95, I am too cheap to buy. I just think, for what it is, that's more then I'm willing to pay - even if they do taste good.

6 comments:

Hillary said...

I have good news for you!! There is no actual fish in a California Roll -- it is imitation crab meat. O.k., I guess the imitation crab meat might be a descendant of a piece of fish, but perhaps so far descended that you aren't getting the good health benefits you are seeking anyway. So I say, skip the California Rolls and don't look back! If you want fish, I suggest you try tekka maki, which is the tuna roll. Of course, the NY Times did a study recently, and the sushi tuna in NYC is apparently super high in mercury. So as for health benefits, there are some pros and cons there too.

We'll have to go on an ethnic food eating binge next time you hit Boston -- try some different sushi to find out if there is any kind you like, try some Korean food, etc..

Hillary said...

just re-read your post -- so you don't think of California Rolls as fish delivery mechanism (which is what I had thought), you think of it as a fish substitute? Again, I'm not sure there is a lot of health benefit there to make it worthwhile to force yourself, but who knows...

Genjer Leigh said...

Well I was thinking that it might be low in calories, so it'd be something I could eat to help me lose weight. Or, at the very least, not junk - like I would normally eat for lunch.

Hillary said...

Here's my cheap, fast, and good diet food recommendation -- Progresso soup! A whole can only has about 250 calories, costs about $2.50, and it is so filling! Add a banana from the bodega at about $0.25 and life is good.

Of course, soups have sodium. I have no issues with sodium, though. :)

Anyway, I know everyone is always wondering how I stay SO DARN THIN (I hope you are picking up the sarcasm), so there at last is my secret.

Genjer Leigh said...

Soup is probably a good idea - isn't progresso the brand with the commercial about the women's weight loss?

Incidentally, I was watching some talk show yesterday (home 'cause Jazz was sick) and they have this diet book that will specifically help you lose your belly without exercise. I just thought that was the biggest scam and I can't believe anybody would fall for it.

But any-hoo..... I just got back from my lunch hour. I picked up the avocado/cuccumber and brown rice number again today. With a side of hot sauce, of course. ;)

Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be back to my pre-baby weight.

And... no sarcasm needed. Even 4-5 months pregnant you still have a six pack (i see the muscles in the photos you've posted). That's skinny in my book. :)

Hillary said...

six pack! Brian must have used some good photoshop on that one...