Tuesday, March 4, 2008

UPDATE: Jazz's First Tutoring Session

Jazzmin had her first tutoring session yesterday. She finds the best part of tutoring is that it gets her out of the afterschool day that the mean music teacher, Mr. Jones, is in charge. Mr. Jones is disliked by most, if not all, the students at her school.

I got a note from Jazzmin's tutor stating: "I worked with Jazzmin today and she did some writing for me. I was impressed by her note taking skills. Next week I will hive her a reading assessment so I can find out her reading level and assign her some appropriate reading. I look forward to continuing working with her, she is always a pleasure."

Jazzmin was very pleased with herself when I went to pick her up because her tutor was very complimentary during the tutoring session and she knew the note was a good one. Jazzmin said that her tutor told her that she is able to get the point of a story better then most kids her age. Perhaps this praise and the pride she takes in it will motivate her to do more - knowing how she is, it probably will.

I look forward to seeing what reading level the assessment will say she is.
.

4 comments:

Hillary said...

Hey, that's great! Sounds like this tutor is really on the ball. Maybe this will help Jazzmin to discover reading for pleasure -- once she gets to that point, there will be no stopping her! She'll get a lot of what she needs just because she is enjoying reading.

Genjer Leigh said...

Well, getting the point was never really an issue for her. It's knowing which point to put into a book report that she has an issue with. But hopefully with this tutoring we can discover if she is having any issues or if she just hasn't been inspired by any books to become an avid reader.

I brought Jazz to Barnes and Noble this weekend to see if I could find any books that would spark her interest in reading for pleasure. I think I am going to do a blog post about it so - stay tuned for that! :)

Hillary said...

well, maybe if you guys read together a little bit, that would help? Maybe if you could "force feed" her two chapters of Harry Potter, for example, she'd be enough interested in the story to keep going to find out what happens. I think if she isn't into reading on her own at this age, I wouldn't be surprised if a teeny intervention weren't needed to introduce her.

Anonymous said...

Glad that she is doing well so far! :)