Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Barnes and Noble Trip on Sunday

This weekend I brought Jazzmin to Barnes and Noble to see if we could find a book she'd enjoy reading as much as she does the "Diary of a Wimpy KId" series, so as to try and jump start her love of reading. During our search we came across a series of books featuring butts (see photo). I just never would've even have began to imagine that there would be a children's book where the focus is on butts!! Jazzmin really wanted to get it 'cause she thought it looked really funny. But I told her she couldn't get any of the butt books because it's not anything she'd be allowed to bring to school and read. Thankfully this author has other books that don't feature butts which she was interested in getting - it's called, "Just Joking".

In looking for a second book to read we found this series of books about a magic pickle - a series about a scientist who wanted to learn how to creat a super hero. While doing his research - his lunch falls into the "gamma rays" (or whatever) and become super heros. Actually - only the pickle becomes the super hero and the rest of the food became villans. She's really looking forward to finishing her "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules" so she can read the pickle book.

I started reading one of the Nancy Drew books to Jazzmin on Sunday - figuring if I didn't start reading i tto her, it would never get read. The book sparked her interest to a degree. I intended to only read one chapter but then she kept asking me to read more - so I ended up reading 3 chapters to her. I guess the Nancy Drew books really do have a way of making the kids want to know what's going to happen next. Something which seems to be a common reaction among kids. So we'll see what happens if I keep reading Nancy Drew to her.

But, you know, reading aloud to her makes me realize how dry the air is in my apartment because I was getting hoarse after the first chapter. It's really too late in the season to run out and get a humidifier - but next year I should really get one. My skin has been especially dry this winter too.

.

2 comments:

Hillary said...

why work so hard! make her read to you -- give your voice a rest. :o) Besides, you already know how to read.

Genjer Leigh said...

Getting her to read to me would be like pulling teeth. Just like it is like pulling teeth to get her to read in general. Doubt she'll develope a love of reading if she associates it with the struggle involved trying to get her to read.

But Dawn said she used to read Nancy Drew to her kids. And soon they started to read the book themselves because they didn't want to have to wait until the next day to find out what happens. This is what I am hoping will happen with Jazzmin.

Jazzmin isn't going to read a non-comical book on her own at this point. But hopefully by reading Nancy Drew to her she'll develope an interest in mysteries.