Tuesday, July 1, 2008

iTunes -- The Salsa Connection

I've had an iPod for a while but only really used it to upload my CDs onto it. Recently a co-worker of mine copied his whole library of songs onto my iPod and it inspired me to search iTunes for new songs. I actually found about a half dozen really good Salsa songs that I hadn't heard before. Primarily Salsa versions of #1 pop hits from artists famous in Puerto Rico. Salsa is probably my favorite genre of music right now - even though I don't understand too much spanish.

Unfortunately Salsa has gone out of favor with listeners and radio stations now that Reggaeton is on the scene (combination of rap and reggae in spanish). From what I gather, Salsa started to be viewed as old fashion. And my own take on it is Salsa singers rested on their laurels instead of seeking to be creative. So everybody got bored and turned to Reggaeton. So as a result there are less Salsa artists around and it's harder to find good Salsa music. It seems like a really hard task to find more new salsa songs but I am going to try my best.

I'm sure Salsa will make a come back sooner or later. Esp. with the way artists are trying to make the sound more current when creating a Salsa version of their songs. Michael Stuart has always been really good about trying to progress the sound of Salsa with each album he does (that's one of the reasons he's my fav.). Obie Bermudez did some really great Salsa covers - my favorite is his Salsa version fo "Celos". Here is the video of it from YouTube:




Anyway - I hope I am able to find a lot more great Salsa songs on iTunes. Wish me luck!
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, Reggeaton will not be as popular as it was. It seems like it's dying down. AND yes Salsa will make its comeback- Have you heard the new DLG? The girl who sings has a pretty voice. Are you looking for old school salsa or the modern salsa?

Genjer Leigh said...

I think what happened to Rap when it first started will happen to Reggaeton. It took over at first but calmed down to find it's niche without drowning out the other genres.