Monday, July 21, 2008

"The Dark Knight"

I saw the Batman movie this weekend. After hearing so much praise for the movie I decided to see it for myself. Thankfully I got free movie passes from work. I went to the first showing on Sunday morning (10am) thinking that Friday and Saturday were really the 'high attendance' days. When I first went into the theater (approx 20 min. prior to start of movie) there were a couple dozen people there, but that's it. By the time the movie started - the entire theater was FULL.

The portrayal of The Joker is every bit award winning as you've likely heard/read in every review of the movie. Heath effectively portrays The Joker as psychotic instead of just a mad cartoon character. You can definitely imagine such a person existing. The Joker is a very engaging character in the movie. You know when he's on the screen that you're going to be fully entertained. Not to take away from the performances of the other actors/characters - but it makes me wish the Joker had even more face time in the movie. I thought it was interesting that they chose Chicago as the backdrop for this movie - I always pictured "Gotham" as being a fictional version of New York City.

If you've ever fancied yourself a fan of action movies (mild or extreme), then you will enjoy this movie. A friend of mine said it's one of his all time favorites - and coming from a movie buff, that says a lot.

The only thing I didn't like was people bringing their pre-school kids to this movie. I just don't think it's inappropriate to bring little kids to violent movies. If they need a booster seat to see the screen - they are too young to be watching this movie. Let little kids keep their innocence for as long as possible instead of encouraging them to be desensitized to violence.
.

No comments: