Thursday, July 31, 2008

Continuing Gumdo

I think I am going to continue doing Gumdo once the summer is over. They do more social things outside of class then taekwondo does. I'm still going to take taekwondo - am just going to do Gumdo additionally. With Gumdo we'll be going as a class to support people in tournaments and when we get promoted we go to a school in Long Island for testing. My teacher's instructor has to facilitate the promotion test and that's where his school is. And another big thing is we're going as a class to Korea in 2 years to compete. I would love to go to Korea and this would probably be the only way I'd be able to do it. It does cost $3,000 for airfare and hotel but I can save up my federal refund then borrow from my 401k if need be.


Another benefit to taking Gumdo is I'm more likely to not skip classes. The workouts aren't as intense, but I still get a workout. And the classes are at a later time in the evening on the weekdays so I don't have to bust my ass trying to get to the school on time. With this set up I can do gumdo on Mon. & Wed. and taekwondo on Fri. and Sat. I can do taekwondo during the week if I want to do 2 classes in a row - but I don't see that happening too often. Having to run around with during the school year with Jazzmin takes it out of me for some reason. And then there is the asthma issue - but I'm hoping it won't be an issue after October.

But the only thing that I hate is spending the money for gumdo - I hate spending money and having nothing tangible to show for it. But I am paying off some bills during the summer so the money that would normally go toward those bills will go toward gumdo instead. So it's not like gumdo is really going to be adding to what I pay out every paycheck.

.

1 comment:

Tipa said...

Wikipedia has a nice write-up of Gumdo -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidong_Gumdo