Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Went to New Pulmonary Doctor Today

I went to the new pulmonary doctor today and she gave me this "Peak Flow Meter". It's apparently something commonly used by asthma patients which I have never heard of from the 3-4 doctors I've been to about my asthma. What you do is blow into it with this quick burst and this gauge shoots forward, then you read the result. I am supposed to do this everyday at about the same time each day to see what results I get. And do it a second time after I exercise. Apparently my peak flow number is important to know because they ask for it if you ever get admitted to the emergency room for an asthma attack.

She also let me know that the allergist who gave me symbicort (daily inhaler) told me the wrong dosage. It's supposed to be 2 inhalations in the morning and 2 in the evening instead of once each time. She also said that I'm supposed to rinse my mouth after using symbicort because it can irritate my throat. Another thing my previous doctor didn't tell me.

So now I am going to start taking the symbicort at the proper dosage and measure my peak flow for a month and then see her again. After that she will take the next steps. I am praying that the higher dosage of my daily inhaler will help noticeably. I am tired of getting out of breath every day.

So far - so good with this doctor. She seems competent and nice.
.

No comments: