Monday, June 9, 2008

The Peril of Tae Kwon Do

I took my first night class of tae kwon do on Friday since the onset of my really bad asthma symptoms. Night classes tend to be more intense then the Saturday ones - intense because of the way the class is conducted (boot camp). I was able to participate in the Saturday ones reasonably well so I thought I would be able to handle the night classes.

Friday's class was hard - everything was a struggle. It didn't help that it was 100 or 50 of any given exercise. 100 jumping jacks, 100 sit ups, 50 push ups, 50 mountain climbers, 100 up and down leg lifts, etc. etc. etc. The other students had to do 20 laps of running and then 10 laps of duck walks, but due to my asthma issues not being resolved (still get asthma attack even with emergency pump when I run), the teacher gave me alternative exercises. All the exercises involved working out my abs. Close to the end of class my tummy started not to feel well and I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. It was more like the dry-heaves then anything. But like a trooper, I went back to participating in class after throwing up. I think it was all the labored breathing that caused this.


I still went to class the next morning, on Saturday, and it wasn't so bad. But I had to do more ab work due to the fact I am unable to run. I guess my teacher has noticed my need to work on that area. lol But the combined ab workouts of Friday and Saturday has caused me to have very sore ab muscles for the past couple of days. My abs have never hurt so much! Hopefully by the end of the summer all this work will pay off.

I'm not going to let what happened to me Friday night to deter me from going to night classes again, as I get stronger it will be come easier (or at least more tolerable). My workout routine is going to be intense this summer. I am going to be doing 4 tae kwon do classes and 3 Kumdo (Gumdo) classes additionally. It comes out to 8 hours of working out each week. I also am going to go on a diet to further my weight loss. We'll see what happens!

.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Good luck with the intense summer-o-sweat!