Thursday, June 19, 2008

Volunteering Today

I volunteered today, through my job, to help fix up Pelham Bay Park (near where I live). It's claim to fame is it's the largest park in NYC, yes, larger then central park. I think the sign said it was approx 2,700 acres.

We were split up into about 5 groups with duties ranging from: cleaning up beach, planting, weed pulling and a few other things. The park and beach were already in great condition. I was on the group that was pulling weeds - they called it something else to make it sound more 'glamorous' then it was. We were basically pulling out plants that would kill the trees in one way or another.

I focused on pulling out the garlic mustard plant (see photo) because it was hard to remember all the different things they pointed out were bad. So I stuck to one plant type. Most of the time, at least it felt like, was spent walking to/from the site we were to work. Along the way the 2 men who work for the park were pointing out all the bad plants and what they do to the trees. It was great to see 2 guys who truly loved there job and were very into what they were doing. They were very knowledgeable and had a passion for the environment. It's good to love what you do for a living, right?

I ended up getting slightly sun burned, despite the sun screen I put on. The back of my neck got the worst of it. Oh well.

I am so tired now, can't wait to go home!
.

No comments: