Thursday, June 12, 2008

Echo Cardiogram Results

I went to get my echo cardiogram stress test this morning to see if my leaky heart valve leaks more when I exercise. They hooked me up and it was a little embarrassing to have to be topless, but at least it was a female doing it. They did an echo cardiogram at rest and then put me on the treadmill. It didn't take long before I started getting out of breath but I lasted until after the 3rd stage (each stage 3 min. and goes faster with each stage). Then the RUSH me back to lay down to take an echo cardiogram right after being on the treadmill.

The doctor told me that the very slight leak in my heart valve is normal and what everybody has. He said that I am not somebody with a leaky heart valve problem. He also said that my lung capacity before and after workout was normal.

So now that my doctor has ruled out pulmonary hypertension and leaky heart valve as contributing to my breathing problems - it seems sure that asthma is the culprit. I have to find a different pulmonary doctor to do the follow up because the one I initially went to see is no longer "in-network" for my insurance. It would end up costing me more money if I went to see her. So I am going to make an appt. and then call for documentation of my results so I can show the other doctor. Hopefully he/she can get me some meds that will finally, effectively, control my asthma symptoms.


********UPDATE********

I just made an appt. with a pulmonary doctor for next Wednesday. This doctor is a Columbia U. grad and is board certified. So she should be good. I research where the doctors I see went to school - it's just so hard to find a good doctor. I figure if they went to a good school there's a good chance they'll be the most helpful.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad they ruled that out. :) It's just finding the right meds- I hope they find one that works well for you.

Genjer Leigh said...

Yean - I'm looking forward to hopefully getting proper meds tomorrow at my doctor appt. and being able to live my life w/o worrying about everything getting me out of breath.