Friday, May 2, 2008

Leaky Heart Valve = Breathing Issue?

I went to the pulmonary doctor today regarding my ongoing asthma issues. She had asked me about any current health issues I had and I had mentioned that several years ago I was diagnosed with a very, very slight leaky heart valve. She had her assistant get the echo cardiogram results from a different floor and she said, "I'm not impressed." - giving me the impression she thought the leak was nothing. But she said, to be on the safe side, she wants to do another echo cardiogram to see if it has gotten worse since I was initially tested and she's also going to do it while I am running. Sometimes the leak can be worse when you exercise.

A leaky heart valve can effect your breathing because the end result is it can allow more fluid to build up in your lungs and inhibit breathing.

I am also going to do a few asthma tests - which also involves my running. Once that is done and the leaky heart valve is ruled out, she will then talk about changing my asthma medicine dosage.
I liked this doctor - she explained everything very well to me without my having to ask. Just like my general practitioner, she told me what she was thinking and why re: my diagnosis.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad that they are doing more tests. It is scary when one doesn't know what is going on. I hope they resolve it soon. It is annoying to go from one doc to another and he/she doesn't know anything-and finally a relief to meet with docs who know what they are doing. :)