Sunday, January 27, 2008

This week on Netflix...

Princess Hours, Disc 1: I have watched this entire series already but I liked it so much the first time that I wanted to see it again. I was wondering if I would enjoy it as much the second time - since I already knew what was going to happen. Fortunately, that was not the case - I still enjoyed watching it.

I know I already posted regarding what this drama/comedy is about. But just to recap - it's about supposing Korea had a constitutional monarchy (as England does). And the story revolves around an arranged marriage between Crown Prince Shin and Chae-kyeong (a commoner). The marriage comes about as a result of a promise the late king made to his best friend (Chae's grandfather). Shin and Chae don't get along at first but they grow to like each other as time progresses. What gets in the way of that is Shin has always been a loner and doesn't know how to express himself. And while, at times, he's able to clue her in on how he feels - he often pushes her away unintentionally. He also struggles with her friendship with his cousin Yul because Yul makes it plain that he wants to break up the marriage so he can be with Chae. Another problem is Shin's ex who wants to get him back - though Shin never expresses wanting to be with her. But he still considers her a good friend.

Brenda is watching the series for the first time - she doesn't like Shin. I don't think she understands Shin's jealousy over his wife's friendship with his cousin is a sign that he's developed feelings for her. Which excites most viewers - but causes Brenda to greatly dislike him. We'll see what she thinks as the story develops.

Monarch of the Glenn, Disc 1: Just to break away from my preoccupation with Korean dramas - I decided to 'mix it up' and start watching a British series. I periodically forget that I don't generally like modern day British dramas. Love British period shows/moves and some of the comedies are fun to watch. But modern day dramas couldn't be more boring. I could barely get through the first episode and chose to turn it off. I guess you win some and you lose some. The first episode, at least, was about a son returning to his rural home where they had this beautiful manor. He went back because his father hand a minor accident - whom he doesn't get along with. In returning he finds out that his parents are deep in debt and he was willed the manor a while back but was never told. ZzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzz The characters have nothing engaging about them - not sure how they could hold anybody's interest.

Stained Glass, Disc 3: Netflix has some sort of conspiracy against me - I wanted to receive 2 discs this week but they only sent me 1. It seems these Korean dramas are in great demand and had to be shipped to me from out of state.

The thing about these dramas is that you know that everybody is going to live happily ever after... eventually. But still the story is woven in such a manner that you're still on pins and needles when there is an obstacle in the couple's way and relieved when things seem to be going their way - despite knowing the inevitable outcome. What is also great is the story takes twists and turns you can't predict. They also develop side stories that are part of the main story but also have their own thing going on. What starts off as a snow ball of a storyline turns into a huge boulder as the story goes on - more things get added, drama builds and you just love it.

So when I left off in disc 2 Ji-Soo (girl) and Yuichi (boy) had just embraced and were kissing passionately. I foolishly thought that this meant they'd start to be in a relationship. But when I started watching disc 3 she pulled back and felt he was only interested in her due to pity. Gi-Tai (boy) is still being overbearing with his pursuit of Ji-Soo. He realizes that Ji-Soo has feelings for Yuichi but thinks he can force the issue and make things come his way. Ji-Soo and Yuichi have several moments where they enjoy each other's company and you know they want to be together but things with Gi-Tae just get in the way.

In an effort to break up the tension of the 'love triangle', Ji-Soo moves out of Gi-Tae's family's house. Around that time Gi-Tae finds out his half-brother died in an accident and now he's no longer the black sheep of the family. His father asks him and his mother (as Gi-Tae was the product of his father's infidelity to his wife) to move in and to have Gi-Tae take over the company. Gi-Tae is happy because now he thinks he'll be worthy of Ji-Soo since he's a rich heir like Yuichi and he might gain favor with Ji-Soo as a result. Like the thick headed dope he is - he's wrong.


I can't really do this show justice - because there is so much going on. Not to mention the bits going on in the side stories. But I am loving the story and can't wait to see the unexpected twist and turns this story takes.

5 comments:

Hillary said...

you have to check out Dexter, the serial killer with a heart! love that show. Waiting for season 2 to come out on dvd...

Hillary said...

re: Netflix conspiracy, Brian has actually done some research on this, and Netflix has been forced to admit that for people who turn over rentals very quickly, they actually slow down their delivery time to you buy purposefully shipping from farther away. This is how the can be sure they remain profitable for every customer. If you slow down your viewing, you'll find your discs will suddenly start arriving quickly again.

Brian said...

Netflix has a hidden rule that they want the average cost of a rental to be over a certain amount. It is either $2 or $3 per rental (I forget which). The rate is based on a sliding 30 day window. So for the most recent thirty day period, you can take your monthly fee, divide that by the number of movies you've received in that time, and you'll get your average cost per rental.

Since Netflix can't shut you off (they claim "unlimited rentals"), and they can't suddenly charge you more, what they do instead is slow you down. The way they do this is by taking advantage of the postal service. Suddenly, your movies will be arriving from (and returnable to) locations that take a few days to reach you by mail.

They've honored their legal obligation, and you're still getting your rentals; it's just taking you longer.

If you want to watch the same number of rentals but don't want to wait, Netflix is hoping to push you into a more expensive plan.

If you do the research, you can learn all about what Netflix admitted to, didn't admit to, the class action suit, and lots of anecdotal evidence. I believe it's call "throttling", if you search on "Netflix throttling", you'll see the discussion in glory detail. It happened to me a couple of years ago. I called to complain, and then cancelled the service, knowing (at the time) I was going to dump them soon, anyway.

What's really irritating is their false claim of unlimited movies, and that I didn't necessarily have a rental on hand when I wanted one.

If you haven't checked it out yet, some libraries have excellent movie selections; it might make for a good supplement to Netflix.

Genjer Leigh said...

I think my problem with the korean shows is that Netflix likely doesn't buy enough DVDs to meet the demand. Since I doubt they view them as being the discs that would be in high demand.

I've been a member for about... 3-4 years and the turn around has always been good. If I mail DVDs back on Monday - I usually have new movies from my que by Wed. But I only watch DVDs on the weekend so I generally get 12 DVDs per month.

I heard that wasn't the case a while back when the discs were coming from Calif. to NY. But then the opened a facility in Queens.

Maybe if I was returning discs twice a week instead of once, then I'd experience the 'netflix throttling'. ;)

Genjer Leigh said...

@ Hillary - I've added Dexter to my Netflix que, I'll let you know once I get a chance to see it!