Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Theatrics of Gumdo

Last night we did a little training for the tournament I'm participating in Nov. 7th.... my first tournament ever. I am competing in the weapons category, I could've also signed up to compete in Taekwondo but wanted to just do one thing for now - until I get used to competing.

According to my teacher, my form is fine and I just have to work on the "threatrics" of it. Look intense and as if I'm kicking somebody's butt - if not slicing them to pieces. Uma Thurman is to be my example of making an intense face. Or maybe I should just do Ben Stiller's "blue steel" model face to show intensity. lol I don't know how well I'll do in trying to act like a fierce fighter. I'm told I have a look of worry on my face when I'm doing my forms - not exactly intimidating. But usually by the time we get around to doing forms - I'm tired. So maybe that tiredness looks like worry. We shall see how I do.

As far as the competition goes - the good thing is the break down the categories by rank, gender and age. So perhaps I will be the only female of my rank/age to be competing in the weapons category and will automatically get first place! :) Or 1 of 3 wouldn't be so bad - at the very least I'd get 3rd place then. :)

I hope I don't get too nervous when I'm competing - I just want to get through it and do a decent job of it.
.

No comments: