Monday, August 4, 2008

Thinking about Dad

I was watching this documentary on the Irish in America and I saw some guys with long mustaches - reminded me of Dad when his mustache was like that. As I got to think about Dad I was remembering the time he came to my apt. with Dawn and Hillary to fix up Jazzmin's bedroom. At one point Dad and I went to the corner store to get beer (so unlike Dad, I know). What struck me that day was how the guy at the counter benevolently treated Dad like an old man. It startled me at that moment because I had never once thought of Dad as old or had I ever witnessed anybody treated him as old. It was just weird. Part of me felt bad to witness that - I imagine everybody wrestles with the concept of going from a regular adult to people starting to treat you as a geriatric. I felt bad because I wonder how it must've made Dad feel to transition into being looked at in that way. Dad didn't appear to mind being treated like an old man by the counter guy though.
.

No comments: