Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Like Sand Through the Hourglass....

... so are the days of our lives." If you've heard the quote before then you watch too many soaps. :)

Nothing exciting going on with me but still I opted to write this update for you. Well I guess something exciting happened, or at least, it'd be exciting for an American Idol fan. Which I'm not. But this year at my company's promotion day our special guest was Jennifer Hudson who was in American Idol and won the Oscar for her role in "Dream Girls". Unlike guests in prior years, she performed. Prior we had Bill Cosby and Queen Latifah who gave motivational speeches about their lives, how they overcame adversity and how we can apply that to our lives. To be honest, Jennifer Hudson was a let down 'cause I'm not into her type music. And I was hoping for an inspirational speech by a celebrity I liked. Oh well.
I had a friend from Chicago come and visit me last weekend. I met her when I lived in Chicago a while back - we worked together in a telemarketing firm. Telemarketing - now that's some fun AND you get paid to do it. Just doesn't get better then that. :^p Thankfully I was just responsible for mailing things overnight to customers. I did do telemarketing briefly to do phone surveys for a radio station. I feel sorry for anybody who has to do telemarketing for a living.

So anyway, this was her first time in NYC and I tried to show her the sights. Saturday we went to Chinatown, Little Italy and SoHo - which meant we were constantly on our feet for 3-4 hours. I had a gift card to this really nice asian restaurant Tao, so we went there for dinner. A friend of mine pays me to do her english homework - she is taking an online class. So she opted to give me a gift certificate to Tao. I know it may seem wrong to do somebody else's homework but she's studying to be a vet. tech. so it's not like her essay skills are essential. She was actually wanting me to take the class for her all together and pay me for it but I turned that down. Then I'll be obligated to do the work. Now it's just my choice - when I have time. We had a good amount to eat and used up the $50 gift card. After that I took her to Times Square so she could take some photos of the tourist variety. "oooh bright shiney lights."

There was this one funny bumper sticker we saw in Chinatown, it said "Since they call it tourist season, why can't we shoot them?" If you've ever been to a tourist area in NYC you would understand. :)

Sunday we went to Fordham Road in the Bronx - it's a popular shopping area. She found several things there to buy. Then we went to Arthur Avenue which is the Bronx's Little Italy. Unfortunately a lot of things were closed. :(

Hopefully she had fun and got a good sense of NYC. I couldn't really think of other places to take her. Especially since she didn't express any interest in seeing anything specific.
.

No comments: