Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Malcolm X

I was speaking with another mother from Jazzmin's school about how the only thing they teach about the civil rights movement is Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rosa Parks. Ignoring all the other things that happened during that time and the people involved. It came up because for about the 4th time in their career at this school they have to write about MLK once again. Never learning anything new - just re-hashing the same facts they already knew about MLK.

Malcolm X is a hero of mine - probably the only person in history I look up to. Which is not to say I don't appreciate all the other great heroes in history - but he is the only person who evokes my sincere reaction of admiration. So today I bought a children's book for Jazzmin so she can read about Malcolm X, since I'm sure her school won't. Here is a video of Malcolm X below.


.

No comments: