Saturday, January 17, 2009

Last Friday I became the victim of fraud for the first time in a long time (last time was in 1991 I think). My e-mail is connected to my cell phone so when I get an e-mail, I am notified. As I typically do, I checked the e-mail on my phone in the morning as I watched the morning news. I noticed I got 3 e-mails alerting me to 3 charges made via PayPal. The total of the 3 charges was approximately $550. I was stressing out - as you can imagine. I was able to change the password to my paypal account via my cell phone before I got into work.

When I got to work I checked my bank account and much to my surprise, the money hadn't been deducted from my account yet. Paypal's delayed processing of charges really worked in my favor. I called the vendor that was sent a payment and left several messages - but they are on west coast time so I had to wait to speak with them. Next I called paypal and they started an investigation. Then I called my bank - I had my bank card canceled and asked for a new one sent. As I took my bank card info off the paypal account I noticed that my bank account number was also linked to paypal. So I called the bank back and asked what I could do to safeguard myself from the charges going through and he suggested I freeze the account. The vendor finally called me back and was very cooperative about refunding the fraudulent charges. Phew. I decided to keep the freeze on my bank account until Monday - figuring the refund would be reflected in my paypal account by then and I'd be safe.

Thank God I kept my checking account frozen because on Monday the fraudulent charges were presented to my bank and declined. I was surprised because I thought I had taken steps on Friday that would've avoided the charges getting to that point. I know I'd have gotten the money back regardless but waiting for paypal to get the charges reversed is time I don't have.

I feel so fortunate that I caught these charges so quickly and was able to take action fast enough to avoid major issues. It's unfortunate that the criminal likely got away with the crime. He/she purchased online music so he/she already got the merchandise. I don't know how they'd even go about catching the person.
.

2 comments:

Tipa said...

I'm astounded you use Paypal at all, though I guess you probably don't any more. I'm glad they didn't get your money!

Genjer Leigh said...

Paypal is the only way to purchase things on ebay. I've had the account for 10 years and it's the first time anything has happened.