Monday, November 3, 2008

Jazzmin's Dad Court Date

I spoke with Jazz's paternal grandmother yesterday and it seems as though Jazz's father has gone to court today. I imagine it's just a court date to officially enter in the charge, what sentence the prosecutor is going for and get the date his case will actually be heard. After that he'll likely be shipped off to a facility outside of the city to wait until that court date. His mother seems to think that he'll be looking at heavy time - of course, law enforcement has always wanted to put him away for a long time but have, as of yet, been successful.

Jazzmin is staying with her paternal grandmother while I am at my gumdo tournament this weekend. She's going to bring Jazzmin to visit her father. So that meant I had to finally tell Jazzmin that her father is in jail. She took it very well - she seemed unaffected by the news. When I told her that is she feels bad at all about this that she should tell me - but she said it didn't bother her because she's not used to seeing him that much anyway. I cross my fingers that she is not too adversely affected by her father and his absence.

It's times like these that I am glad that she has the teacher she does at taekwondo as a male role model. I feel like somehow having an alternative male figure/role model helps ease the absence of her dad on some level. After all she adores him and he does go beyond just teaching martial arts -but also teaches proper behavior, encourages her to read while waiting for me while I'm in class, gets on her case if he's eating unhealthy snacks, etc.

Well, we'll see what happens with her dad. Wish he hadn't gotten himself into another mess.
.

4 comments:

Tipa said...

Good luck on your Gumdo tournament!

Sorry that Jazz had to find out about her dad. Maybe he'll get another light sentence.

All children need their parents.

Genjer Leigh said...

His mother seems to think they're trying to put him away for a long time. But Daryl seems pretty good at finding ways out of things, so we'll see what happens.

Genjer Leigh said...

...as far as all children needing their parents - he hadn't seen jazzmin in 5 months when he had been arrested. Even out of jail he's not around so there's really no difference re: him being in or out.

Tipa said...

That's sad. At least she does have her tae kwon do instructor. He seems like a perfect role model for Jazz.

She's going to need some good, strong male role models pretty soon. If only one of them could have been her dad.