Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Jazzmin's Annual Physical

I had to have Jazz's annual physical done with a new doctor as her current doctor was booked until the end of December and she needed a paper signed for basketball the first week of November. This new doctor is at a different clinic all together as the old clinic won't allow my daughter to get a physical by a different doctor as long as her actual doctor was available (I guess they define available as being in the building - even though he's double booked with appts.). I asked the receptionist if she'd prefer the clinic lose my money by having me go to a doctor from a different clinic (as I explained the urgency of the visit) and she told me to go do what I have to do. So I did. Though I think the rule is stupid 'cause if a patent goes to a new doctor and switches to that new doctor as a result then they lose all future earnings. It would make better business sense to accommodate then risk losing the patient all together.

So anyway - I went to the new doctor this morning. Can't say as though I was impressed - Jazzmin did not speak of any problem breathing, despite being an active child, yet prescribed an emergency inhaler for her to have if she needs it. OK... Let's see - if she never spoke of having breathing problems then when would these times of needing the emergency inhaler happen? He's treating a non-existent problem. The reason he wrote the prescription was as a result of a breathing test they had her do. But if the test says she needs it and the patient doesn't have any breathing problems - wouldn't that be a cause to think that something is amiss with the test?

It's not as though her other pediatrician was so amazing, but... It's not exactly easy to find good doctors in the Bronx. If she had any real health problems I'd have to find a doctor in Manhattan - not that Manhattan is full of amazing doctors. You still find more "misses" then hits - but at least the hits are attainable.

But end result of her physical is she's fine and can play on the basketball team. Her first game is on Monday!
.

No comments: